Saturday, May 2, 2015

Junger 5/2

"In war, when shells fly past our bodies at high speeds, we sense clearly that no level of intelligence, virtue, or fortitude is strong enough to deflect them, not even by a hair. To the extent this threat increases, doubt concerning the validity of our values forces itself upon us. The mind tends toward a catastrophic interpretation of things wherever it sees everything called into question (pp. 5-6)."


This passage is explaining the way that soldiers feel during the time of war, but not only that; it explains the way that we feel when we have a problem. When ever we have a big problem, we feel as it is never going to go away because of the circumstances we are in. No matter how hard we try, the situations seems to keep on getting worst; and when it seems that it's going to get better, something happens and it gets worst than before. I believe that he used the example of war because when one is at war, deployed to an unknown country; things tend to get worst that before. As they start think that things are turning around, it back fires on them. This is what I believe that is going on in this passage. I chose this passage because I've been in that situation plenty of times. When I was overseas, I always had hope that things would of gotten better but they never did; until I came home. This is a very important passage to me because I could actually relate to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment